Monday, September 29, 2008

Boys will be boys and girls will be girls



We had the best Sunday ever yesterday. Started off our day by going to church to hear an awesome sermon and good music and then came home and ate lunch. I asked Kate earlier that morning what she would like to do today and she said she wanted to go ice skating..."You know mom like we see on tv...is there one around here?" Those of you that know me well know that I have been ice skating since i was a little girl and have been waiting for the day that we could go together. So that is exactly what we did....packed a bag, grabbed my ice skates, piled the whole family in the car and off we went. When we got there I got her rental skates and we sat down to put them on. I look at her and she is staring at this little girl that has pink and white ice skates and she immediately looks at the brown skates and says, "I don't want to wear the brown ones...i want some of those pink skates". She is a girl after my own heart. I told her that if she liked skating that i would get her some pink ones. So we head off to the ice. The look on her face was priceless. The first time around she looks at me as she is gripping the side and says "mom, i don't think i need to be doing this. i might really hurt myself" I reassured her that i would help her and teach her. That was the first lap.....by the third lap the girl was skating by herself and wanting to know how to skate backwards. All day she has been talking about it and how she wants to go back but next time she wants to see daddy skate(haha...i do too!) I love it.....it makes my heart melt that she had so much fun. Skating is something that I have been doing all my life and have gotten out of since having children. I hope this is something that she and i can share for many years to come.



Scot and Jackson went with us ice skating but they played in the arcade and ran up and down the bleachers. They were so sweet to be patient while Kate and I had our girl time. I could tell they were so ready to go home so after an hour or so we decided to go. When we walked out of the ice skating rink we realized the fair was on the other side of the civic center. Scot decided we needed to drive over and let the kids look at it. I am not a big fan of fairs so I was happy just to let them look. We pull up and there are three dirtbikes warming up for the "Big Show". Jackson immediately starts yelling "Look mommy, motorcycles!!" I bet he said it twenty times. He had the biggest smile on his face! We decided to get the kids out of their seats and we all sat redneck style in the parking lot with the windows down and watched this dirtbike show. Jackson was in heaven. They had two big ramps and they were doing backflips and other really crazy tricks. My heart was pounding and thinking about how dangerous it was and Jackson and Scot were yelling and laughing through the whole thing. It was such a "boy thing".




check out the guy on the dirtbike....kind of hard to see him because of the ferris wheel!


Glad that Jackson got to see some real life dirtbike tricks but i just hope he doesn't ever come and ask me if he can ride one. I might have a heart attack!

5 comments:

Lora Lynn @ Vitafamiliae said...

How on earth did you grow up in the south and manage to ice skate so much? Still, ya'll look so cute on the ice!

and Jackson and the dirtbike cracks me up. There is no civilizing those creatures!

Amelia said...

I agree with no civilizing the boys....it cracks me up. It was so much fun watching his face everytime one of the bikes would do something.

We had a skating rink in decatur. Decatur is so small so that is what we did on the weekends.

Barkley said...

I am so glad y'all had such a wonderful day yesterday!! The pictures tell the story well!! Love you!

The Fab Five said...

UPS just dropped a off a box at my house.. WHOOP WHOOP!

The Fab Five said...

Thank you thank you thank you for the sweet compliment! I would love for you tp put my link on your blog. When I came to your blog I was plesantly surprised to see 7 prayers a day. :)

Followers